Full name: Joey Lynn King
Hair color: Brown
Eye color: Blue
Birth date: July 30, 1999
Birthplace: Los Angeles, California
Zodiac: Leo – known for their sociability and independence.
Years active: 2003-present
Partner: Steven Piet
Joey King started acting professionally when she was four years old. A national spot for Life Cereal was Joey’s first commercial. It has been said that Joey inherited the love of acting from her grandmother, who used to perform in live theater.
She has appeared in several television shows and movies of the week, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2000), Entourage (2004), Medium (2005), R.L. Stine’s The Haunting Hour (2010) and “Avenging Angel”, to name a few. Also she has completed three pilots, and was a series regular on the short lived show, “Bent” were she has said, “Jeffrey Tambor made me laugh everyday”.
Joey voiced the yellow fur ball Katie, for the animated feature Horton Hears a Who! (2008), and Beaver, for “Ice Age 3-D”. She has also voiced the lead character Jessie, in the book series movie adaptation of “The Boxcar Children”, and lastly the voice of China Girl in the much anticipated Oz the Great and Powerful (2013), a prequel to the the world famous 1939 classic The Wizard of Oz (1939). Joey said, “I think it’s really neat to hear my voice come out of animal or creature that someone made from their imagination!”
Her first film Grace (2006), was shot when she was six years old. On the first day of filming Joey had to pretend to almost drown in the ice cold ocean. Joey has said she was completely hooked on making movies after that.
Joey was nine years old when she landed her first lead role in the feature Ramona and Beezus (2010). Joey played Ramona Quimby, whose character always seems to be in some sort of mischief. Joey has said that the role changed her life and she will always be grateful to, two of the most amazing, talented woman, Liz Allen and Denise DeNovi who are still good friends of Joey’s.
In her short years, Joey has worked with some very prestigious directors; Christopher Nolan, who Joey describes as super involved in every detail, including being present when Joey shaved off her hair for her role in The Dark Knight Rises (2012), Sam Raimi, who captured Joey’s heart with his gentle and patient demeanor and brilliant vision, while working on Oz the Great and Powerful (2013), and Roland Emmerich who Joey has said is such a gifted director, who I was so lucky to get to work for and will be my friend for life, while filming the action movie, White House Down (2013).
Joey has spoken to many schools and Boys and Girls Clubs on the importance of making a positive difference in the world, even if you are young. She attends and contributes to many charities, and you can often find her helping her grandmother deliver food to the elderly through Meals on Wheels when she is not working.
Joey’s performances have earned her outstanding critical reviews from such critics as Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun Times, and Amy Biancolli of the San Francisco Chronicle.
Joey has said she feels like the luckiest person in the world to be able to do what she loves and be surrounded by people she loves!
– Biography Source
Trivia & Facts
• Joey King is not afraid to get involved in activism.
• One of her bestfriends is Rachel Crowe.
• Joey King has shaved her head three times for film roles in eight years.
• Her sisters are actresses Hunter and Kelli King.
• Received a pet pig from Jay Leno that she named JayJay, during an appearance on The Tonight Show for her 11th birthday in 2010.
• Spiderman is her favorite fictional superhero. She’s seen all the “Spiderman” movies.
• Joey started acting when she was four. Her first job was a commercial for Life cereal. Since then she has completed over 104 commercials including national campaigns for Eggo, AT&T, McDonald’s, and Walmart.
• She appeared in her first film, Grace (2006), when she was 6 years old.
• She was named after her grandfather Joseph.
• Did her own stunts in Quarantine (2008).
• She and her sister, Kelli, wrote a song called “Ramona Blue” when they heard Joey booked the movie Ramona and Beezus (2010). Joey then recorded the song.
• Got her ears pierced for her 10th birthday.
• For Battle Los Angeles (2011) she got to wear a full body harness. For the stunt she was repelled down a 40 feet drop with a free fall the last 10 feet.
• She is left-handed.
• Joey is part Jewish and part Christian but identifies more as Jewish.
• She considers Jessica Chastain one of her role models.
• Joey received her first Emmy nomination at 19.
• She’s a spokesperson for Urban Decay makeup.
• Joey won a Kids Choice Award in 2019.
• Her favorite television series is Grey’s Anatomy.
• She was the official spokesperson for D.E.A.R (Drop Everything And Read).